Thursday 18 October 2012

My Kid's Bedroom

It's only natural to look at the history of the thing you wish to create and so I have found a little of the history of kid's bedrooms which I shall look into.

The Bed and Bath Book - Terence Conran - 1978

History of the Cradle

The rhyme "rock-a-by-baby" originally come from when women used to put their children up in the trees whilst they worked. But by the 18th century primitive cradles had been created using hollowed out tree-trunk halves. Which later became large wicker baskets, and finally cots. Someone tried to prove that subjecting a child to constant rocking would cause long term damage, which of course wasn't exactly true and cots continued to rock.
Stately homes which were wealth enough to have servants would often have 2 specifically to rock the cradle, and nothing else.

(Conran P260) (20th century cradle)



CHANGE IN PLAN

Because I shall be looking into my kids bedroom's dressing table my subject shall steer away from larger objects. And will therefore include objects such as paint, toys, jewellery etc depending on my deco research on kids ornaments and superficial things.

No comments:

Post a Comment