Saturday 20 October 2012

Objects I wish to Include

Now for me to decide what I want my room to contain I shall have to research interior design in objects, and some their history and why they are needed.

A bed is an obvious choice, though I'm not sure how I want it to look, therefore I shall research and look at beds of our time.

History of the Bed (Conran, Terence (1978) The Bed and Bath Book)

Anglo-Saxon beds were literally stuffed sacks of straw and laid it on a hard floor next to family and live stock and the one fire of the house.
By the id 11th century chimneys had been invented and so a new way to heat up the rooms, having no need for a bed on the floor, so grand bed were designed to show off wealth, thought partly because these rooms weren't very private as workers would report to them often. And by the 16th century 4 poster beds had been invented. With the famous "Great Bed of Ware now in Victoria and Albert museum bearing the date of 1460 but actually made between 1575 and 1600.

Great Bed of Ware (Unknown) No Sweat Shakespeare Available at <http://www.nosweatshakespeare.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/great-bed-of-ware.jpg> Accessed 28th October 2012

In the 17th century beds became lighter, with a difference from the colonial North America and their jack beds, being held up in one corner using a wooden stick, and the other sides against the log cabin walls. And the New York mayor when he died (1690), leaving a $500 bed-linen.
The next change in bed history were the Iron beds, and cotton linen. These weren't created out of fashion, but out of health and convenience, as there were a lot of flee and bug issues in wooden frames and straw beds. This is so no bugs could live in the straw or wood, and the cotton linen could also be boiled without ruining it, killing anything inside it. Page 104-105
There are types of mattresses and holders there are. Each reacting to the weight of a body differently.
Taking the example of the princess and the pea, it shows how a certain bed, the way it's made looks or feels has to fit the exact person using it.


(Conran P108 - 109)

Here are some standard shapes and sizes of mattresses, giving me an idea of the shape of the bed I need.


(Conran P110 - 111)

This distinctive beds stick out, because of their strong theme and fun of their ideas.
A shoe bed is cool and any boy would be amused by it.

(Conran P113)

In this book their are hanging, water, foldaway, portable and orthoptic beds. I will have neither of these so will not look into them.
Children pillows and duvet covers I shall have to look at though. I need deco ones, and normal sleeping ones.

(Conran P122)

(Conran P127)

And if I also need or want a blanket, bead spread.

(Conran P133)

(Conran P135)

OK so what is a bedroom for?
Of course it's for sleeping, but what about relaxing, designing, hobbies, comfort, amusement, dressing up

 (Conran P141)

(Conran P147)

(Conran P148)

(Conran P151)

(Conran P152)

As my room is a child's room, there is going to be lots of fun games and play as well as sleeping requirements, because lets face it kids don't really want to sleep. They always want to be doing something.


CHANGE IN PLAN

Once I had thought about it, it was clear I wanted to do my dressing table idea, focusing on tiny objects that I can view still in a game engine.

So from now on my objects shall be related as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment